Vice President of Human Resources Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is seeking a talented leader with both strategy and operations expertise to serve as Vice President of Human Resources (VP of HR). Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the VP of HR organizes and manages the University’s HR team. As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the VP of HR will develop, plan, and implement HR initiatives and strategies that will support high employee engagement and customer service excellence towards UMUC becoming an “employer of choice.”
The VP of HR also works closely with senior leadership to support change management initiatives. He/she will also proactively build collaborative relationships with staff at all levels across the University as well as with key stakeholders in government, the University System of Maryland (USM), and organizations in the greater community. The VP of HR leads human capital management services and compliance within the division’s functional areas of talent acquisition, compensation/classification, benefits, human resource information systems (HRIS), human resources business center (HRBC), employee training and development, organizational development (OD), change management, talent management, performance management, and employee and labor relations in a union environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner with senior business leaders to both understand business strategy as well as develop, define, and align HR priorities to support the achievement of business goals;
- Provide strategic guidance to the senior leadership of the University;
- Develop and sustain productive partnerships with the HR functional area leaders to execute day-to-day HR activities;
- Manage delivery of the full-range of operational, service, and project-related activities carried out by the division in support of the University's mission;
- Serve senior leadership as a trusted advisor and thought partner;
- Refresh the HR strategic plan and continuously ensure alignment with the University’s current and future strategic plans;
- Drive workforce planning efforts to align with short and long-term business requirements;
- Oversee the employee performance management process and cultivate a culture of accountability that recognizes and rewards top performers, as well as counsels and develops all employees;
- Build and facilitate an annual process to assess and develop high-potential employees;
- Work with leadership to support compensation equity and consistency, and continuously improve the quality of sources that support market studies to help ensure competitiveness;
- Administer employee benefit plans and work with third-party vendors to evaluate, benchmark, and continuously improve the quality of offerings – also, in partnership with Finance, negotiate and implement employee benefit contracts;
- Implement HR metrics that measure process value, efficiency, and effectiveness;
- Leverage best practices, benchmarking, and meaningful emerging trends, both internally and externally, to improve overall quality of service delivery and customer service excellence;
- Continuously improve employment branding and engagement survey instruments;
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant regulatory issues, professional and industry substantive codes, as well as federal and state laws and regulations;
- Counsel leadership about the impact of long-range initiatives and regulatory actions including their effect on the human capital resources of the University;
- Serve as the senior management spokesperson in labor relations and ensure a highly effective and productive employee relations environment;
- Manage the HR operational and staff budget;
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Required education & experience: An earned Master’s degree or JD from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning, an active PHR or SHRM-CP, and at least 10 years of experience as a senior HR leader including expertise with both strategy and operations; strong history of executing best practices and innovative initiatives that deliver next-level, measurable results; experience working in a data-driven environment; a working knowledge of the compliance, regulatory, legislative, and governing bodies and environment impacting the HR discipline; experience with each of the division’s aforementioned functional areas; strategic thinker with gravitas and exemplary interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills; proven track record of collaborative partnerships with internal customers at all levels; and a history of leading teams that deliver customer service excellence. Significant leadership courage is required in this highly visible role as is leading with the highest levels of integrity.
Preferred experience: An active SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification is strongly preferred; an inclusive leadership style that is strong in teamwork; accomplished in the successful development of high performance, customer-centric teams; ability to thrive in a diverse and complex organizational culture; cultural transformation experience; experience with employment brand strategy and the measurement, communication, and change management around employee engagement; superior critical thinking and problem solving skills; hands-on experience in the functional areas within the division; work experience in higher education, Workday, and with recruitment process outsourcing (RPO); as well as experience with driving a HR strategic plan and vision towards becoming an “employer of choice.”
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html .
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character . Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.
Employee Labor Relations Manager (11005, Grade 30)
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
- Riverdale, MD
$69,175 - $120,559 a year
|The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is a nationally recognized agency providing land use planning; stewardship of natural, cultural and historic resources; and delivery of award winning recreation programs to the communities it serves. The agency is seeking a highly skilled, self-motivated Employee and Labor Relations Manager within its Human Resources Office. The selected candidate must have demonstrated experience with large organizations in administering, directing, and planning, employee and labor relation services, labor contract administration, investigating employee and union grievances/complaints, union negotiation/bargaining experience, reviewing and recommending disciplinary actions across organizations, training development and presentation experience, and extensive experience interpreting employment rules and regulations.
Key responsibilities are:
Managing and directing the Employee and Labor Relation Services team with the goal of delivering superior customer service to operating departments, while maintaining compliance with all federal and state laws, as well as Commission rules, regulations, and administrative practices.
Overseeing and conducting grievance investigations and managing/administering dispute resolution procedures. Preparing complex research, investigative and other written reports, as well as editing reports prepared by staff. Ensuring appropriate tools are developed and utilized for the purpose of tracking and analyzing disciplinary and other workforce data.
Administering the collective bargaining agreements, providing guidance to managers on the Merit System Rule and Regulations, Commission Administrative Practices and Procedures. Coordinating the team's research of data and collection of materials for collective bargaining. Developing proposed changes to the collective bargaining agreements for consideration. Assembling all data critical for successful negotiations.
Providing leadership, vision, and creativity in all assigned program areas to achieve effective operations and increased productivity with quantifiable and measurable outcomes.
Providing training to the operating departments on Commission regulations and procedures, union contracts, performance management, and EEO/ADA/ADEA.
The ideal candidate will possess the following technical competencies/skills:
- Proven experience in managing/coordinating employee labor relations programs for large organizations.
- Effective problem solving with emphasis on employee and labor relation programs.
- Self-directed work approach and the ability to quickly respond to changing organizational needs and critical priorities.
- Proven project management skills including development of project timetables, resource oversight, supervision, and redirecting of activities as necessary.
- Excellent verbal communication including public presentations to all levels of management and employees.
- Clear and logical investigative/business writing with attention to detail and analysis.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, multiple priorities, and handle constructive comments from multiple levels.
1. Master's degree in human resources management or related field, and six years of progressively responsible HR experience in assigned area including 2 years of supervisory experience.
2. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Additionally, some positions in this class may require certifications based upon area of assignment